blogbanner new

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Ska tribute to Trotsky

I was merrily surfing away on Amazon, and I discovered an album dedicated to Leon Trotsky. And not some passing reference, but an entire concept album, with songs based on episodes from Trotsky's life. And not from some whimsical folk singer, but from a ska-punk band from New Jersey.

Catch 22 released Permanent Revolution this summer. The songs are assigned dates and events and range from The Spark (1902) to Opportunity (1940) and touch on the Bolshevik revolution, Trotsky's exile from Russia and the purges in between. The lyrics reveal a genuine commitment to understanding his history and sympathy with his cause - from A Minor Point (1922):
Some may want to say that were killers
But we do what we must
And we feel we are just
Cutting off the head of the imperial serpent
Taking back the land for the hands
That have worked it.
I don't know if Catch 22 are political devotees, but as bassist Pat Kays explains: "Trotsky is an intriguing character who we felt we could relate to in a lot of ways. And he has a very powerful story that is important and very relevant to our current world situation." Funny how when I say that in grad school I get told "class isn't important". Luckily no one's told these musicians.

The music is catchy and inoffensive. Ska/punk isn't really my thing, but the kids are paying attention: this week the disc's No.828 on the amazon charts, months after its release - for a chart that includes over a million items, that's respectable. And I'd wager they've done a better job in popularizing Trotsky than years of socialist magazines put together. Art that's accessible, fun and political - now there's a concept.

|



<< Home
Must-reads

Victor's thoughts on...

Marxism & Politics


Economics & the environment


Culture


Books


Music


Movies


Revolutionary Misfits


Art


Palestine


Imperialism


Reading Group

CWM2

Archives

Politics

New Socialist

title1letters

title

sp-logo

lmhr_color

Blog rolls

navbarlogo

Vast Left Wing Conspiracy
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
80x15
banner_blogwise
blog explosion

Progressive Bloggers
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com